In light of the increasing number of cloud security threats and the rising need for qualified experts to address them, obtaining a cloud security certification has never been more crucial. Obtaining a certification in cloud security not only enhances an individual’s knowledge of cloud security technologies, but also provides them with access to new career prospects. This article will highlight the most desirable cloud security certifications for 2023 and their significance in establishing a fulfilling career in cloud security.
Why is Cloud Security Certification Essential?
Foundry reports that 69% of companies have increased their pace of cloud migration in the last year (2022).
Despite the advantages of cloud adoption like cost reduction, scalability, and availability, it comes with added risks regarding cloud computing security. The number of organizations turning to cloud computing is increasing, leading to an increasing demand for professionals who can proficiently safeguard cloud data from cyber threats.
As per the IBM Transformation Index: State of Cloud, 71% of businesses are creating new positions to fulfill the demand for cloud capabilities. A suitable certification in cloud security can equip individuals with the necessary knowledge, technical abilities, and expertise to detect, obstruct and counteract new cloud cyber threats and enhance their career prospects in this fast-paced industry.
Benefits of Cloud Security Courses
- Cloud is the future: The use of cloud computing has been rapidly increasing in recent years and is expected to continue growing, emphasizing the need for advanced cloud security skills. Cloud certification training is essential for professionals wanting to stay ahead of the curve and advance their careers by opting for rewarding job roles in this promising field.
- Gain specialized skills: A cloud security certification helps candidates develop practical cloud security skills and in-depth knowledge to successfully evaluate, detect and secure an organization’s cloud infrastructure. Whether you’re just starting or advancing your career, the right cloud certification can help you become job-ready with in-demand cloud security skills.
- Increase visibility to companies: Companies prefer candidates with a solid understanding of cloud security principles, technologies, and frameworks. By obtaining cloud certification training, candidates can gain a competitive edge over peers and increase their visibility to potential employers.
- High-paying jobs: As employers understand the worth of investing in skilled professionals, cloud security experts have the opportunity to earn handsomely, given the growing demand for advanced skills and proficiency. Cloud security certifications can be a great investment in building a rewarding career, as they increase your earning potential by helping you land high-paying jobs.
Top 3 Cloud Security Certifications for 2023
In 2023, there will be several leading cloud security certifications available for you to undertake. Before attempting any of these certifications, it is important to carefully assess the prerequisites and ensure that your skills are aligned with the certification requirements in order to successfully pass.
1. Google Professional Cloud Security Engineer
Obtaining this certification can enable individuals to prove their competence and expertise in planning, setting up, and implementing infrastructures on Google Cloud. As part of the certification process, individuals may need to perform certain tasks, such as:
- Configuration of identity and access management
- Security policy defining
- Deploying network security
- Analysis of logs and incident response management
- Protection of the data with Google Cloud Technologies
Employment opportunities for individuals who hold a Professional Cloud Security Engineer certification from Google.
- Cloud security engineers
- Solution engineer
- Cloud Architect
Although not mandatory, it is highly recommended to have a minimum of 3 years of experience, including a year of management and design with Google Cloud platform, before attempting the Google Professional Cloud Security Engineer certification exam.
The exam will have a duration of 2 hours and may consist of 50-60 multiple choice questions.
The cost of the exam is $200.
The compensation package for a Professional Cloud Security Engineer who has obtained Google certification:
Recruiter.com reports that Cloud Security Engineers in the United States have an average annual salary of $140,632.
2. Certified Cloud Security Professional(CCSP)
This certification, issued by (ISC)², is both advanced and internationally recognized. It serves to confirm that one possesses the technical abilities necessary to design, secure, and manage cloud networks while also demonstrating proficiency in (ISC)²’s required skills and knowledge.
CCSP is considered one of the top IT certifications by Google for individuals seeking career advancement in the field. It is an excellent option for cloud architects, security specialists, analysts, consultants, and developers who wish to elevate their careers.
Skills like those needed for the CCSP test are:
- Cloud architecture and design
- Cloud data security
- Cloud platform and infrastructure security
- Cloud application security
- Legal, risk, and compliance
- Cloud security operations
Employment opportunities for individuals with CCSP certification.
Pursuing job positions such as the ones listed below may be possible for individuals who obtain CCSP certification:
- Product security engineer
- Cyber integration engineer
- Senior security analyst
- Cybersecurity solutions architect
- Information security manager
- Compliance technology specialist
- Cloud security engineer
- Information security auditor
- Application security architect
To be eligible for CCSP, it is suggested that one should possess a minimum of five years of IT industry acquaintance, which could involve an expertise of three years in IT security along with a year or more of any of the six domains of CCSP.
The exam will have a time limit of 3 hours and consist of 125 multiple choice questions.
Exam fee: $599
On payscale.com, it was discovered that the typical annual income for a Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP) amounts to $124k.
3. AWS Certified Security Speciality Certification
AWS and security and increase your chances of getting hired by companies that use AWS.
- AWS data protection mechanisms
- AWS mechanisms to deploy data encryption methods
- Security operations and risks
According to Statista, AWS holds an average market share of 34%. Obtaining this certification may prove to be the optimal decision for career advancement.
Positions available for security specialists with AWS certification.
- Cloud security engineers
- Security and compliance engineer
- Security Architect
Although there are no required prerequisites for obtaining the AWS certified security certification, Amazon suggests that individuals should possess at least five years of experience in information security and have practical knowledge in securing workloads of AWS.
The exam will run for 170 minutes and could comprise of up to 65 questions that may be of multiple-choice or multiple-response format.
The cost of the exam is $300.
Ziprecruiter.com has stated that an AWS Security Specialist in the United States can expect to receive an annual salary of $101,592 on average.